What is Obesity?
Obesity is a life-long, progressive, life-threatening condition marked by excess body fat, which can significantly reduce life expectancy. When weight increases to an extreme level, it is called morbid obesity, and is a chronic condition with numerous medical, psychological, social and economic consequences.
Causes of Obesity
There are many reasons for obesity. While its causes are certainly tied to an imbalance of calories taken in versus calories burned through physical activity, it also can be affected by:
- Family history and genes.
- Medications: Some antidepressants, anti-seizure medications, diabetes medications, steroids and beta blockers may cause weight gain.
- Surroundings and economics: Research suggests people may be at greater risk for being overweight or obese if their friends are; other data shows people at lower economic levels have a greater chance of being obese.
- Lifestyle habits, eating behaviors and stress.
- Too little sleep: This can affect hormones that increase appetite.
- Medical problems: Hypothyroidism, Prader-Willi and polycystic ovary syndrome can contribute to obesity.
As you grow older, don’t you find it more difficult to lose weight? Ayurveda focuses on the therapy which help in liquefying the excess fat.
Ayurveda has remedies that to control obesity and improve heart health.
Herbs for obesity management: Herbs with following properties are used here. Lekhana (Scraping extra Meda (fat)), normalizing function of digestive fire by removing blockage of subtle channels (srothas). This can regulate fire principle in cellular level (dhatwagni) and correct transformation of dhatus. Plumbago roseae (chitraka), Commiphora mukul (guggul), black pepper etc. are some useful herbs.
Udwarthana (Medicated powder Massage): It has fat burning properties, which is performed using herbal decoction and powder of suitable herbs. This is useful in dissolving subcutaneous fat and to stimulate the nervous system and glands.
Steam bath and other heating procedures: Oils are never used. It is useful in removal of blockage of subtle channels or srothas.
Thakradhrara (pouring of medicated buttermilk): This is a very effective procedure to calm down brain activities and thus help in managing depression and other psychological problems arising out of impaired functioning of higher mental faculties.
Virechana (Medicated purgation): It is a cleansing method, performed by giving some herbal purgatives which bring down abnormally increased fire principle or Agni.
Yoga and meditation for obesity management: Practice suitable yoga postures after an Ayurvedic consultation. Yoga is not an exercise program, but a recommended Ayurvedic lifestyle habit. Yoga can make overall changes to your life, strengthens body, mind and helps to stay focused.
Vasthi (Medicated enema): Designed to clean the lower alimentary canal and most effective in Ayurvedic treatment bringing cleansing of subtle channels or srothas spread all over the body. This is very effective in removing abnormally increased fire principle. Special ingredients may be added to it making it a Lekhana Vasthi which can cause scraping of fat.
Diet Planning and recommendations for weight loss: Design an Ayurvedic diet chart suitable for your constitution. A qualified Ayurvedic doctor can help you in this regard. Follow it thoroughly. Some tips on Ayurvedic diet for obesity as follows:
- Increase usage of fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Cook with spices like turmeric, black pepper, ginger and rock salt.
- Fasting once a week is very effective. You can have fruit/ vegetable juices while fasting.
- Avoid processed foods, intake of too much salt, milk products like cheese, butter etc.
If you want to know more about Ayurvedic treatment for obesity, or any related queries, please drop by at our Ayurvedic Clinic in Brampton.